|Amelia Island North Ranges (Old & New)
||Two beacons are placed on the North end of Amelia Island to
range with the "Old Channel"
North Rear-Range Lighthouse/Dwelling & Front Tower - constructed and lit
- "dwelling house painted white with a red roof. The focal plane is 35 feet above the level
of the sea. The illuminating apparatus
is a lens of the sixth order, showing a fixed light of the natural
||Florida Secedes from the Union
for safe-keeping during Civil War and taken to Waldo, FL
Lighthouse/Dwelling & Front Tower destroyed by Rebels??
seizes Fort Clinch & Fernandina
North Rear-Range Lighthouse/Keeper's Dwelling & Front Tower - constructed
and lit - "The rear light is mounted on the keeper's dwelling" DARK for 11 yrs 3
||NOTICE TO MARINERS (No. 5 of 1880) Notice is hereby given that,
on or after March 15, 1880, the lights known as Amelia Island North Range
Beacons will be changed, and a new range established for crossing the bar in
the best water at the entrance to Fernandina Harbor, Florida. The new lights will be catoptric, fixed
red, and will be shown from skeleton frame towers pyramidal in form; the
front one white, the rear one white and black. For entering the harbor ...... Front 30 42
01 - 81 26 21, Rear 30 41 52 - 81 26 42
||Annual Report - The changes that had taken place on the bar
rendered both the north and south range beacons useless. The south range-beacon was discontinued,
and the structure was used in making, in part, a new rear light for the new North Range.
construction begins on St. Mary's Entrance to maintain 21' channel
||John Miles leg
broken & later amputated.
"Lights were being attended by a very intelligent young
cracks cistern at North Range
testimonial appears in A.A. Marks, Artificial Limbs Catalog - since Sept.
||Willow Pond? New tramway sills were put under the rear beacon on
ten brick piers, which
were substituted for the wooden posts of the old tramway, and 630 linear feet
of elevated plank walk were built between the beacons. (Willow Pond has 8 of 10 brick piers still
new wooden substructure 20 feet high, was built for the rear beacon of this
range. A new tramway was built for the
||9' x 11'
fireproof oil house built - Willow Pond??
placed due to shifting shoals
dies. C.H. Miles replaces him
||Telegram - ……..
front light Amelia Island range destroyed
repaired after Hurricane - South End of Cumberland nearly split in two &
complete and channels stabilized.
& Front Tower discontinued.
Appears the Fort Clinch Range is now the primary guide.
Engineers declares Jetty work is completed
Lighthouse fireplace footings discovered by Hal Belcher