|Civil War Timeline for Amelia Light-house & Ranges|
|1860||Revenue Cutter, “Guthrie,” sails from New Bedford, Massachusetts on November 8, 1860 with a full cargo of supplies for one year for all the lighthouses and light vessels between Amelia Island, Georgia and the Rio Grande, Texas. Reaches bay at Galveston on the 5th of March, 1861 and detained. Page 35. Military and Naval History of the Rebellion. William Jewett Tenney. New York, D. Appleton & Company. 1865|
|1861||1/10/1861 - Florida secedes from the Union. Georgia secedes nine days later.|
|7/1861 - Union Navy Board determines Fernandina is the best location for its Southern Base. Fernandina will be used as a depot for coaling, provisions, and common stores. It also has the best harbor for refuge and will be used as a general rendezvous point or headquarters.|
|11/1861 - General Robert E. Lee is in Fernandina, at the request of David Yulee, to discuss protecting Yulee's railroad.|
|11/7/1861 - Port Royal, SC falls to the Union Navy|
|11/26/1861 – “The extinguishment of lights from light-houses, removal of light-vessels, and the destruction or removal of all the other aids to navigation existing from the northern boundary of Virginia to the Rio Grande, excepting those on the peninsular of Florida (Jupiter inlet to Dry Tortugas,) was continued until about the 24th of April (1861), when the whole was accomplished. The supply vessel (Guthrie - cb), with annual supplies of oil, wicks, chimneys, and cleaning materials for all the lights between Amelia Island, Georgia, and the Rio Grande for the current year, 1861, having been dispatched before the outbreak at the south, was not recalled, the supplies were delivered as usual and without obstruction until her arrival at Galveston.” Report of the Treasury Department, Office of the Light-house Board, November 26, 1861. Thomas A. Jenkins Secretary Light-house Board.|
|1862||1/1862 – General Robert E. Lee is in Fernandina inspecting Coastal Defenses. Lee finds time to stop at Dungeness on Cumberland Island and visit the gravesite of his father - General Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee (1/29/1756 - 3/25/1818). Henry's remains were moved to the Lee Crypt at Washington and Lee University in 1913.|
|2/19/1862 – General Robert E. Lee orders all coastal forces to secure their artillery and withdraw.|
|3/4/1862 – Union (S. F. Du Pont) takes "possession" of Fort Clinch & Fernandina.|
|4/1/1862 – “8th. The tower and lantern at Fernandina remain in good order, but the lens has not been recovered; it is said to have been taken to Tallahassee.” Report of Flag Officer Du Pont, U.S. Navy, regarding the conditions on the Southern coast. Flagship Wabash, Port Royal Harbor, S.C. April 1, 1862.|
|11/1/1862 - “In the sixth light-house district, embracing the coasts from New River inlet, North Carolina, to Cape Canaveral light-house, inclusive, Florida, but little has been done to replace lost or destroyed aids to navigation, in consequence of the larger portion of the district not yet having been brought under the control of the United States government. The care of this board will be to push forward such work of restoration parallel with the recovery of the territory.” Treasury Department, Office of the Light-house Board, Washington City November 1, 1862. C. K. Stribling, for Chairman.|
|1863||10/31/1863 - “In the sixth light-house district, embracing the coasts from New River inlet, North Carolina, to Cape Canaveral light-house, Florida, inclusive, the same reason which called for a brief summary of operations in the last annual report still exists, i. e., the slow recovery of the territory by the United States military forces." Treasury Department, Office of the Light-house Board, Washington, October 31, 1863. W. B. Shubrick, Rear-Admiral, Chairman Light-house Board..|
|1864||10/5/1864 - “In the sixth light-house district, embracing the coasts from New River inlet, North Carolina, to Cape Canaveral light-house, Florida, inclusive (36 lights,) the limited amount of territory recovered to the authority of the United States has, as reported last year, resulted in but few measures for restoring lights and other aids to navigation. Steps have been taken, also, upon the recommendation of the military authorities, to re-establish the light formerly in operation at Amelia Island; the necessary repairs and renovations made, and its re-exhibition at an early day is confidently looked for.” Report of the Light-house Board, Treasury Department, Office of the Light-house Board, Washington City October 5th, 1864. W. B. Shubrick, Rear-Admiral, Chairman Light-house Board.|
|8/8/1864 – Subject Amelia Island Lt House - recommends appointment of Jas. Parker as Keeper of and nominates Asst. Keeper for Index Slip of Letter Bound in Letter Book No.171, page 55. Writer Supt. of Lts. T.C. Severance, Port Royal SC, 4 Aug 1864|
|1865||3/22/1865 - Subject: Amelia Island Lt House. Light will be exhibited May 1st (1865). Ackgt of letter. Directing. Index Slip of Letter Bound in Letter Book No. 171, page 34. Writer Inspector (Acting) 6th District C.O. Boutelle by Wm L Lampson – Clerk. Hilton Head S.C. 22 March 1865. DARK for 4 years!|
|3/22/1865 - Subject:
Amelia Island Lt House. Transmits Oath
of office of Keeper
Index Slip of Letter Bound in Letter Book No. 171, page 79. Writer Supt. of Lts. T.C. Severance, Port Royal SC, 22 March 1865
|1866||10/16/1866 – “The number of lights discontinued by the rebels on the southern coasts was 164, of which 94 have been rebuilt or repaired and relighted. Those lights which remain to be re-established are chiefly small and unimportant stations; the work done comprising about four-fifths of the labor and expense of renovation originally required.” Report of the Light-house Board, Treasury Department, Office Light-house Board, Washington City, October 16, 1866. W. B. Shubrick, Rear-Admiral, Chairman.|
|1867||6/25/1867 - Subject: Amelia Island ?North? Beacon. Nomination of Keeper for. Index Slip of Letter Bound in Letter Book No. 213, page 636. Writer Supt of Lts. Geo. L Bony, Fernandina, Fla 25 June, 1867|
|9/13/1867 - Subject: Amelia Island Beacon,
reports exhibition of Light Sept. 5, 1867
Index Slip of Letter Bound in Letter Book No. 213, page 151. Writer Act Engr, 6 Dist J?. P Smith, Charleston SC, 9 Sept. 1867 Dark for 6 yrs, 4 mos.
“Amelia Island. – Repairs have been made to the tower, new glass placed in
the lantern, weight of the rotary machinery cased, and an iron gallery placed
around the lantern in place of the temporary wooden one. It is intended to complete the work at an
early day, including a fence to enclose the grounds.”
“Amelia Island beacon, in front, seaward, of the main light, at a distance of about five-eighths of a mile, has been re-established. It is movable, on wheels and a tramway of one hundred feet. The range indicates the channel across the bar, entrance to Fernandina, Florida. A plank walk from the main light across the marsh to the beacon, three-eights of a mile in length, is under construction, and will soon be finished.” Report of the Light-house Board, Treasury Department, Office Light-house Board, November 2, 1867 W. B. Shubrick, Rear-Admiral and Chairman.
|1868||11/6/1868 – “298. Amelia Island – The
repairs in progress at this station at the date of the last annual report
have been completed and a fence constructed.
A plank walk 840 yards in length has been made across the marsh to the
beacon light in front, and a roadway, 680 yards cleared.
299. North beacons, Amelia Island. – This station has not been re-established.” Report of the Light-house Board, Treasury Department, Office Light-house Board, Washington D.C., November 6, 1868 W. B. Shubrick, Chairman.
|1869||10/15/1869 – “295. Amelia Island, Ga.-
This station is in good condition.
Some small repairs have been made to the keeper’s dwelling, and steps
made between the main light and the beacon.”
296. Amelia Island Range Beacon. – Some small repairs made upon the beacon.” Report of the United States Light-house Board, Treasury Department, Office Light-house Board, October 15, 1869., W. B. Shubrick, Chairman
|1870||10/31/1870 – “Amelia Island inner range beacons, to enter St. Mary’s, Georgia, and Fernandina, Florida – These beacons, established near Fort Clinch and destroyed during the rebellion, are now required to meet the wants of a growing navigation interest, and an estimate has been submitted to supply the deficiency caused by the appropriation for “restoring lights on the southern coast” having reverted to the treasury under the act of July 12, 1870.” Report of the United States Light-house Board, Treasury Department, Office Light-house Board, October 31, 1870, W. B. Shubrick, Rear-Admiral United States Navy, Chairman of Light-house Board.|
|1871||9/25/1871 – “325. Amelia Island, North Range, St. Mary’s Bar, Florida. – Plans and estimates have been prepared for a keeper’s dwelling, and beacons for this range. As the site is on Government land, near Fort Clinch, there will probably be no delay in regard to the sites, and the work may be done during the present winter.” Report of The United States Light-house Board, Treasury Department, Office Light-House Board, September 25,1871. W. B. Shubrick, Rear-Admiral U. S. Navy, Chairman.|
|1872||5/15/1872 - Subject: Amelia Island
Beacon, Fla. Nomination of Keeper
& asst Keeper for - enclosed
Index Slip of Letter Bound in Letter Book No. 294, page 150. Writer Supt. of Lts. L. S. Forest, Fernandina Dist. Fernandina Fla, 15 May 1872.
|8/31/1872 – “333, 334. Amelia Island, north range beacons, at entrance to Fernandina Harbor, Florida. – The work on this range was commenced in December, 1871, and finished May, 1872. The rear light is mounted on the keeper’s dwelling, and the front one on an open-frame square pyramid, which rests on a tramway, and can be moved to the right or left to conform to the changes in the bar, which are generally effected after a severe northeasterly or southeasterly gale. The lights at this station were exhibited June 1, 1872.” Report of The United States Light-house Board, Treasury Department, Office of the Light-House Board, August 31, 1872. Joseph Henry, Chairman. DARK for 11 yrs, 1 mo!|